Welcome to AVMLA!
Veterinary medical law covers a wide array of legal practice areas including employment law, pharmacy law, corporate law, agriculture law, land use and zoning, licensure defense, malpractice defense and tort law. AVMLA puts information at the fingertips of veterinarians, attorneys and other veterinary medical healthcare professionals about animal research, veterinary education, performance of veterinary procedures, animal welfare and animal sheltering, hospital management and ownership.
The American Veterinary Medical Law Association (AVMLA) is a national association of attorneys, veterinarians, and other individuals and organizations with an interest in veterinary medical law and how it pertains to the veterinary profession and allied fields. AVMLA was incorporated in 1994 as a nonprofit organization with the following objectives:
- Provide information to members regarding pertinent issues in the field of veterinary medical law.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of the impact of law on all aspects of veterinary medicine.
- Facilitate interactions among organizations, regulatory agencies and the courts for the benefit of society.
What can the AVMLA do for you?
We offer membership to licensed veterinarians and attorneys; veterinary and law students and others with an interest in the field. The AVMLA counts among its members pioneers and leaders in the field of veterinary medical law.
Membership benefits include:
- AVMLA Quarterly Newsletter – AVMLA publishes a Newsletter to keep members informed on legal issues in veterinary medicine and AVMLA activities. Only AVMLA members have access to the current Newsletter issue and archives. Click here to view a sample issue.
- Advertising Opportunities – Promote your firm, clinic, event, industry related products or job opportunities in the AVMLA Quarterly Newsletter!
- Access to the AVMLA list-serv which allows members to have peer dialogue with their colleagues on topics in the industry. Members are welcome to post questions, weigh in on discussions and receive feedback and assistance from members offering a national perspective and in-state, regional proximity.
- Webinars: The AVMLA hosts webinars on a myriad of topics relating to veterinary medical law. Most are eligible for RACE and CLE approved CE. Check with your state regarding acceptance of online CE.
- Annual Continuing Education Conference: AVMLA hosts an annual meeting and continuing education seminar where members network and receive valuable information about new legal developments. This meeting meets in conjunction with AVMA’s annual meeting and is eligible for CLE and RACE credit.
- On-line Store – AVMLA members merchandise available. Show your support!
- Follow us on Facebook & Twitter (www.facebook.com/AVMLA and @AVMLA for Twitter)
Stay informed regarding issues of relevancy and concern pertaining to:
- Practice Ownership
- State and Federal Regulatory Information
- Malpractice Issues
- Veterinary State Board Violations
- Personnel Concerns